Skip to main content
Self Assessment

Bankers’ Guide to Completing a Self-Assessment Tax Return

By April 13, 2023No Comments

As a high earner in the banking industry earning over £100,000 per year, you are required to register for self-assessment and file a tax return.

If this is your first time filing a self-assessment tax return, it can seem overwhelming. However, with a bit of preparation and planning, it can be a straightforward process. Here are some tips to help you get started:

Register for Self-Assessment

The first step is to register for self-assessment with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). You can do this online or by post. You will need your National Insurance number, personal details, and information about your income and employment.

Gather All Relevant Information

Collect all the information you need to complete your tax return, including your P60, P11D, and any other relevant documents related to your income and expenses. You will also need to know your tax code and details of any investments or rental properties you own.

Understand Your Tax Obligations

Take some time to understand your tax obligations and the deadlines for submitting your tax return and paying any tax due. Failure to comply with the deadlines can result in penalties and interest charges.

Seek Professional Advice

Consider seeking the help of a professional accountant or tax adviser who can guide you through the process and ensure you comply with all the relevant tax laws.

Keep Accurate Records

Keep accurate records of your income and expenses throughout the year. This will make it easier to complete your tax return and ensure that you are claiming all the tax deductions you are entitled to.

Filing your first self-assessment tax return as a high earner in the banking industry may seem daunting, but with careful planning and preparation, it can be a straightforward process. By following these tips and seeking professional advice, you can ensure that you comply with all the relevant tax laws and avoid any penalties or interest charges.

Warr&Co are here to help!

Get a head start on your tax return by getting in touch with one of our specialist accountants today.  

Leave a Reply

Close Menu